Minecraft 1.8 is out!

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Bryan, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Bryan

Bryan Member
    Staff Member

Minecraft 1.8 “The Bountiful Update” is now available!

Minecraft 1.8 Vanilla server jars are now available in Multicraft. To update, select the 1.8 server jar from the JAR file dropdown, then save your settings and restart the server.

There is a dual-version available build of Spigot available, which we've also added to Multicraft. This lets 1.8 clients connect to a server based on the 1.7 server builds. There will be a number of issues with these builds, including unexpected behaviour and plugin incompatibility issues - you should only use them if you are confident that you can independently troubleshoot the issues that you encounter.

Bukkit's future remains uncertain. This post will be updated when we have more to report.

Further Reading

#1 Bryan, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    Skizzy likes this.
  2. Elliot Hitchcock

Elliot Hitchcock New Member

How long will it be before there out? wanting to have a 1.8 vanilla server i think.

3. adamkade

adamkade New Member

I followed the vid and instructions to the letter. I downloaded 1.8 update and then uploaded via filevilla. It says file transfer successful. I can see its directory in the filezilla. I login to my server via multicraft. Put default into the jar box and then slide down. There is no 1.8 in there. Subsequently I can not click on it as the jar file I want.

Hope some one can help, because I am at a loss.

4. Bryan

Bryan Member
    Staff Member

Later this afternoon.

Uploading a custom jar won't add it to the dropdown in Multicraft. Make sure you upload the jar into the /jar directory, then set the JAR file to minecraft_server.1.8.jar. It should look like this:

http://i.imgur.com/NvXHh21.png

Save and restart, and you should be done.

5. adamkade

adamkade New Member

I have done that. I uploaded it to the jar folder. Do I change the name to custom_server.jar then uploaded. I have done that but I got no luck with it so then I just uploaded as is. Either way it doesn't show on multicraft. I have even deleted some of the old jars in filezilla just to see if there was any change in the directory on multicraft but I guess that nothing changes on multicraft

How do I "set jar file to minecraft_server.1.8.jar"?

#5 adamkade, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2014
  6. Bryan

Bryan Member
    Staff Member

Nothing will change in Multicraft - uploading the server jar does not effect the dropdown of jars that we provide.

Upload the file into the /jar directory (you don't need to rename it). The JAR File I showed in that screenshot if a text field - just paste "minecraft_server.1.8.jar" into it.

7. adamkade

adamkade New Member

Did that, saved it, and now the above box says default

also getting this error: Error getting player list: Can't connect to Minecraft bridge! (110: Connection timed out)

Thanks for all your help, and thanks for your time too. I saved it and now the boxes are like you showed me but it is stuck offline. No doubt with all my playing about with things I have messed it up.

#7 adamkade, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2014
  8. Bryan

Bryan Member
    Staff Member

Yes, the dropdown will say default. That is normal.

The bridge error is typically short lived - if you see it again and for more than a few minutes, contact our support.

9. adamkade

adamkade New Member

yes, still offline with it. I will contact support. Thanks again.

10. Just Another Server

Just Another Server New Member

What I have discovered is that if you want to run whatever build you upload it to the jar file folder and rename it to minecraft_server.jar and you can then select the default to play it. But as Bryan stated tells me the default is set at 1.8. Before 1.8 my default was 1.7.2 so this confuses me a bit on how the default is set up. The drop menu does show 1.8 now as a selection though.

11. Bryan

Bryan Member
    Staff Member

When you select a server jar from the dropdown, Multicraft will look for a file by a specific name (For example Vanilla Minecraft Server (1.8.0) looks for minecraft_server-1.8.0.jar). If the file exists, then Multicraft will launch it. If the file does not exist, then Multicraft will place a fresh copy into your /jar directory, then launch that.

All the jars we provide are labelled with their type and version. There are two special cases however:
    1. Mod: Custom Server / custom_server.jar - We do not provide a jar by this name. This is used as a catch all for any custom server jar that you want to upload that we don't provide. For example, if you want to use Cauldron.
      When you rename your jar to custom_server.jar, Multicraft will use the Mod: Custom Server profile when launching it, which includes our optimised launch flags.
    2. Default - If you don't specify a jar, then starting with this will give you the latest version of Vanilla Minecraft. If you specifiy a jar that isn't in the dropdown (for example cauldron-server.jar), then you will see Default.

#11 Bryan, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  12. adamkade

adamkade New Member

The week of minecraft hell. Onwards and upwards. My server would not start. So contacted support. They got it working but all the work that had been accomplished had been wiped and a new world started. Then a helpful chap told me that my old world was in the directory: server_restore. I downloaded the world via filezilla. Slipped the world into my minecraft folder to see if it was the old world and it was the old.#

So I needed to upload it. Uploaded other world. I was advised to upload the old jar file too. Did all that, then restarted server > entered server. Everything was the same as before, as in, I didn't have old world back. Scratches my head. I shall try again. Went on you tube to look for a tutorial. Maybe I needed to delete the new worlds before uploading the other worlds. Ok doing that now.

13. MinerRalf

MinerRalf New Member

After selecting the 1.8 sever jar and saving, my server would not restart. Checking the console, I found out that I had to open the file 'eula.txt'
    and change 'eula=false' to 'eula=TRUE'. Then the server restarted, and everything works.

14. goodog

goodog New Member

Thank you for this. Just saved me a whole lot of grief.

Just to add, I am a bit stupid, so it would have been appreciated if hosthorde had posted a more in-depth guide to server updating (including the info provided by MinerRalf). In addition, it would be nice if such a post also included information specifically about how worlds created in older versions of Minecraft might be affected by the update, as I am still scratching my head.

15. Bryan

Bryan Member
    Staff Member

When 1.7.10 was released with the EULA requirements, we put this guide up:

https://www.hosthorde.com/forums/resources/minecraft-eula.79/

If you try to start a 1.7.10 or later server without the EULA agreed to, then the server will hang and you'll get an error in the console that says you need to agree to the EULA to continue. It is one of the easier server admin tasks you'll come across.

Regarding worlds created in older versions of Minecraft, if there are world generation changes, then you will see mismatches between new and old land like the image below. Other than the ugly looking boundaries, there aren't any issues updating to newer versions of the game.
    [​IMG]

16. goodog

goodog New Member

It's good you have that information up in the knowledgebase. I hardly ever touch the console, as I just use the multicraft control panel most of the time. If any notifications appeared in the console, I am not aware of it (and now I can't check for notifications which appeared while I was experience trouble setting up 1.8, because the log doesn't go back far enough - but I'll just take your word for it).

Thank you for the clarification and the illustration. Ugly borders aren't a big deal.

17. olywolf

olywolf New Member

why keep doing the updates 1.8 spot if its not fully ready for 1.8, each update looks the same

18. pielord17

pielord17 New Member

19. hereami321

hereami321 New Member

Are there any plans on upgrading to java version 8?

GrimmLiberty likes this.
  20. adamkade

adamkade New Member

You know. How I solved it all was going on good old youtube. Then going through forum posts on other forums so that I could find a vid to show me. For some reason, following texts is sometimes difficult. I keep my minecraft world as it is and minecraft 1.8 jar. I think it strange that people like playing and setting up servers like prison server and the like. Maybe I will make so vids showing how I overcame the so called "easy issues" to dealing with updating. Like everything else in life. It is only easy if you know how to do it.