CurseForge / Create Above and Beyond

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cor_DArchenland, Dec 20, 2022.

1. Cor_DArchenland

Cor_DArchenland New Member

We are attempting to run a Curseforge modpack (Create Above and Beyond) on our server. Initial searches of the knowledgebase turned up a helpful tutorial for running Forge, and so we plowed ahead. After a variety of roadblocks I realized that the knowledgebase article was 8 years old.
    (Basic steps included copying over a new JAR file, adding our mod packs, updating the configuration to point at our new JAR file, etc.)

The error I am getting is
    INFO Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalAccessError: class cpw.mods.modlauncher.SecureJarHandler (in unnamed module @0x79ad8b2f) cannot access class sun.security.util.ManifestEntryVerifier (in module java.base) because module java.base does not export sun.security.util to unnamed module @0x79ad8b2f

Looking around elsewhere on the web I find strong indication that this is a Java version error. Elsewhere I find that Forge usually wants to run on Java 8.

Other hosts seem to have some facility for choosing which version of Java to run, but I am not finding any options in the control panel or configuration files that would let me do that.
    Is this is "give up and try again when you have a modpack using a more current version of Java" situation? Or is this a "You made a noob error" situation?

Input appreciated!

(Please note that Create Above and Beyond is a 1.16.5 Modpack. We are able to run it locally on our laptops using the Curseforge launcher.)