Java 8

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BuccaneerRex, Jan 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BuccaneerRex

BuccaneerRex New Member

I haven't seen anything about the update to Java 8 since November, and that was just users complaining that it still hasn't happened.

I can not use the most recent version of the FTB Regrowth Modpack without Java 8. I'm noticing more and more modpacks are requiring, not suggesting Java 8.

If this isn't rectified and soon, I will not be renewing when my subscription is up, because I can't use the service to play the game I want to play.

I'm disappointed, because I like Hosthorde, and came back to this service after a disappointing experience elsewhere.

I guess I'll have to try some other modpack for the next couple of months, until I can take my business to another host. I don't want to, but I don't see how I can continue to pay for a service that isn't able to provide me with the gaming experience I've come to expect, and that does not seem interested in the simple fix that can do so.

If there are legitimate reasons for not updating, it's just good customer service to communicate those reasons. Until the upgrade is completed, you should also prominently note on your website that this service can't support modern modpacks that require Java 8.

If I may make a suggestion, I know that there are likely issues with plugins and other incompatibilities that are preventing the upgrade for all users. Would it be difficult to set up certain instances with java 8, while others remain on Java 7? Those who need the upgrade could do so through a simple ticket request, while those who don't can continue to enjoy the service as is. I'm sure it would be challenging, but no business is successful without effort.

As I said, I like HostHorde, and I've joined twice so far. Once for the great prices, and a second time because of the quality service I received the first time. I hope that there can be a resolution to this, because frankly it's only going to get worse for Hosthorde as more mods and modpacks come to require Java 8.

2. lastberserker

lastberserker New Member

They won't move to Java 8, they can't fix the subdomain creation bug, their YouTube channel is stale... I'm getting a feeling that HostHorde is just coasting at this point, not investing into updating the service. Not that it's a bad thing - they probably won't break anything that already works :D

Anyway, they appear to have fast and reliable servers, and generally offer a great deal for the money, so I'll stick with them for now.