My thoughts about Hosthorde

Discussion in 'Reviews & Testimonials' started by Captain_Sisko, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Captain_Sisko

Captain_Sisko New Member

I've used hosthorde for a while and my experience with them has been great. Their prices could well be the lowest out there. I switched from my old host, Cloudfrost, in search of a cheaper and faster host. This was the best I could find.

When I switched my server to here, I immediately noticed that it was indeed faster than the Cloudfrost servers. This really isn't saying much, given how slow Cloudfrost is (sorry I keep bashing Cloudfrost, I have no better comparison. I'm sure other hosts are pretty slow too).

So yeah, by now I've had this server for a few months. The server grew a lot, and people are starting to lag again. Then the server goes down. I check to see, for the first time, that hosthorde has failed me. After a couple more rounds of this, I decided shared hosting wasn't for me. It meant nothing but lag and downtime.

I'm renting a dedi server right now. It's amazing. Anyway, here is a more detailed overview of my ratings of Hosthorde:

Speed: 8.5/10 - I thought the specs were too good to be true, but they're not. They really aren't lying about the processors they use. That said, any shared host will lag because each node can only handle so many servers/players.

Support: 7/10 - I know this seems harsh, but lets face it: most companies offer 24/7 support. Live chat is fun, but it is pointless without someone online. If you got 24/7 chat support, you would be way above the competition. However, when there is someone online they are very helpful and will do their best to have your issue resolved.

Prices: 9.5/10 - Compared to other hosts these prices are unbeatable. If you don't mind being on a node with other servers and not always having support, then go for it.

All in all, this is probably my favorite shared host, and I recommend it to anyone who wants a small minecraft server and is new to the field.

2. iamvishnu

iamvishnu New Member

I agree. We switched over from a few bad hosts before, and this one is probably the best we've had in terms of performance and price. I definitely think their support could be a bit more responsive, but if you're a knowledgeable server admin, you won't need it often.
    One thing I'd like to add is that hosthorde is a bit simplistic when it comes to hosts. A lot of hosts offer hosting for other games, like Starbound, TF2, Counterstrike, etc. and many at least have voice server hosting. Not that I'm complaining, though. I'd rather they be simple and focused than branch out too far and spread themselves too thin.