IMPLEMENTED Option to Choose Java Version

Discussion in 'Ideas & Suggestions' started by kmecpp, Mar 19, 2016.

1. kmecpp

kmecpp New Member

Moderator Edit: If you need access to Java 7, please submit a ticket at https://www.hosthorde.com/support/

With the recent Java 8 update one of my servers has been rendered completely unusable. I currently run a modded 1.5.2 server and LexManos' LegacyJavaFixer only works for 1.6.4 so the Java 8 update makes it impossible for me to load any plugins correctly.

Unless someone can provide another solution, I would need HostHorde to add the ability for server owners to choose which version of Java their servers run or else I will simply be forced to find a host that does have this option or buy my own box.

I recognize I am by far the minority, but I have been a loyal customer for 3 years and have 3 servers. I would much rather continue with HostHorde but I need some sort of solution and quickly.

#1 kmecpp, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2016
    BosslyRaven likes this.
  2. Daniel

Daniel Active Member
    Staff Member

Unfortunately, Java 7 has reached EOL and is no longer receiving security updates.

When you try to run your 1.5.2 server with LexManos' LegacyJavaFixer, what error do you receive?

3. kmecpp

kmecpp New Member

I get this message when it's in my coremods folder:

[Server] SEVERE The coremod legacyjavafixer-1.0.jar does not contain a valid jar manifest- it will be ignored

Note that after talking with some people on the minecraft forge IRC though, they told me the issue was unrelated to what the LegacyJavaFixer is supposed to fix.

4. Daniel

Daniel Active Member
    Staff Member

What's your server address? I can take a look if you'd like.

5. kmecpp

kmecpp New Member

s34.hosthorde.com

6. Daniel

Daniel Active Member
    Staff Member

It seems to be starting up for me. Did you get it working?

7. kmecpp

kmecpp New Member

Its starting, the issue is that plugins are not loading

The only "fix" I have found is setting `plugin-settings.custom-class-loader` to false in mcpc.yml but doing that creates numerous other issues with plugins

8. Daniel

Daniel Active Member
    Staff Member

Alright, so currently, with "legacyjavafixer-1.0.jar" being placed in the mods folder, and "custom-class-loader" set to "false" in the mcpc.yml file, it seems to be booting with plugins.

What issues are you experiencing with plugins?

9. kmecpp

kmecpp New Member

LegacyJavaFixer doesnt load in either the mods or coremods folder.

What setting use-custom-classloader to false does is allow the majority of plugins to "load" and I emphasize majority as there are still certain plugins that dont load at all. And the plugins that do are almost completely unusable. Essentials for example loads, but you cannot run any commands as an internal server error occurrs everytime you try to as an in-game player

#9 kmecpp, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  10. Daniel

Daniel Active Member
    Staff Member

Alright, I've added a custom launcher, which is now launching your server using Java 7.

Your MCPC+ 1.5.2 JAR file has been renamed to "custom_server.jar"

For anyone else who needs legacy Java 7 access, please submit a ticket at http://hosthorde.com/support/

Sorry for the inconvenience!

BosslyRaven and kmecpp like this.
  11. kmecpp

kmecpp New Member

Thank you! I'm extremely appreciative of the support and amazed at the speed at which this was handled.