What is the normal (usual) memory usage?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 3lade, May 27, 2014.

1. 3lade

3lade Member

I've been using the HostHorde Pro package for a week now, and currently I haven't released my server to the public. When I'm on the server (1/100 players), the memory usage on my MultiCraft panel goes to about 450MB. I will also mention that I'm running about 20 plugins that aren't that CPU or RAM intensive.

So my question to you guys is:

What is your "typical" memory usage?
    Is 450MB smaller, normal, or higher than it should be?

This in no way is a complaint or anything, I'm just curious. :)

2. DtigerCSK

DtigerCSK Active Member

I usually use around 1-1.5 GB for my server, very rarely going over that. It's a fairly small server, with around 3-5 players on at a time, peaking at around 13.
    450MB is actually pretty low, but that should be good thing.

3. crypticminecraft

If you are around 450mb that is good. I also use about 1.5gb average.

4. 3lade

3lade Member

Oh thats a relief, I thought 450MB with 1 player online was too much! xD

5. DtigerCSK

DtigerCSK Active Member

The server itself running will take a bit, usually around 700MB-1GB, but depends on your server setup. More players will require more ram, around 100MB per player if I recall correctly. Also, lower ram use is always better, unless your server is using none and isn't working at all obviously. :p

6. 3lade

3lade Member

So if I had around 100 players online, would that use up like 10000MB of RAM?

7. DtigerCSK

DtigerCSK Active Member

Not exactly. Ram usage is typically hard to calculate as there are a lot of factors, but usually ram shouldn't be the problem, the CPU will be. But for ram, if players are all in the same area with not many chunks loading, ram usage will be drastically lowered. The Chunk(a server network), for example, "[runs] 120+ on hub with 2GB of heap"(Vemacs). It just depends on how you are using your server.

Joseph likes this.
  8. 3lade

3lade Member

Since we're already on this subject, what about CPU Usage? Whats your typical CPU usage with lets say 1-2 players and how would it react if there were like 50-100 players online? :D I'm about to publish my server in a few days, so I'm wondering what I'll have to deal with.

9. DtigerCSK

DtigerCSK Active Member

CPU usage is also like ram, it depends on how you use it. Some plugins are more CPU intensive, such as Dynmap and Orebfuscator. Also, being on a shared host makes it difficult for CPU usage to be figured out properly, as there are many other server instances on a same machine. For smaller servers CPU isn't really that big of a deal, with an i3 on a dedicated server, you could probably get around 30-40+ players on.

To lower CPU usage, you can try switching to Spigot, if you haven't already, which is a more optimized version of CraftBukkit. If you use Orebfuscator, Spigot has one built in that is a lot less resource hungry. Lowering the view distance can help also, but too low will hinder players' terrain visibility.

10. Joseph

Joseph New Member
    Staff Member

It's important to note that the control panel displays the usage of your specific server instance rather than the entire node, so you know your specific usage. You're able to use up to 200% CPU, which is 100% of 2 cores.

DtigerCSK likes this.
  11. 3lade

3lade Member

So do I just select the latest Spigot from the MultiCraft list? And if I switched to Spigot, would the plugin installing be the same or are there additional complications and configuring involved?

12. DtigerCSK

DtigerCSK Active Member

(There shouldn't be a problem switching over, but backing up is usually better just in case.)
    Yes you can just select it in there. Plugin installation will be the same, Spigot can use CraftBukkit plugins. Configuration is usually optional, but I think orebfuscator is enabled by default, so if you do not want that, you can easily disable that in spigot.yml located in your server root. You can find out more on the Spigot wiki located here.

3lade likes this.
  13. 3lade

3lade Member

Okay then, I will most likely switch over. Thanks for all the help man, really appreciate it. ;)

14. Crothius

Crothius New Member

Terra World usually runs around 2-2.5 GB, but we have over 60 plugins working. We usually only have a handful of people online, since we don't really advertise, so we haven't had an opportunity to do any real stress testing with players. Only time we have issues is when I go crazy with world edit and break things. Haha