Shopping around for a new host...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by _LargeFarva_, Jun 21, 2014.

1. _LargeFarva_

_LargeFarva_ New Member

So far I am quite hopeful that my search is over! And I have just a few questions...

1. Do you run Linux? If so, which OS?
    2. What is the max permgen limit I can set?
    3. Which processors do you use exactly? What is the GHz?
    4. What is the ram speed and brand?
    5. Do we have access to a MySQL database?
    6. Can I receive a default port for my server?
    7. There is mention of how much memory we are allowed to use, and how it only applies to world files. We run a 5 million block border, and our world file can get quite large. At the moment it is still only 6 gigs in a zip because the map is fairly new, but it will get upward of 50+ gigs in a matter of a few months. Does this mean we cannot keep a regularly scheduled backup on our FTP? What is the real effect of how much space we have available for files generated by our plugins, logs, and backups?
    8. Is it really 24/7 support?
    9. support scenario: Assume I have a corrupted chunk in my world and I have run through all the usual fixes, mcedit, mcrf, etc. Nothing seems to be working for me, would your team look at the problem and attempt to run the tools for hope of a different outcome?
    10. support scenario 2: Our backup corrupted and we need a region file, can we put in a request for it from you?
    I have my fingers crossed!

#1 _LargeFarva_, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  2. DtigerCSK

DtigerCSK Active Member

1. They do run linux, I'm sure nearly every host does. The distro is unknown.
    2. Not sure if you can set your own, but it's set at 128M.
    3. It's on the front page. They use E5-1650 v2 or higher in their new servers.
    4. Ram speed as far as I know is not shown anywhere.
    5. MySQL databases are included.
    6. There were several forum topics about this, and it seems to be they do not offer them. You can always use a SRV record though so it's not that big of a deal.
    7. According to their Terms of Service, "Additional data, such as backups, logs, or files generated by third party plugins, are not eligible for storage limit increases. MySQL server storage is unmetered, and is recommended for third party plugin usage."
    8. "Tickets are typically responded to within 1 business day."

3. _LargeFarva_

_LargeFarva_ New Member

Thanks for starting up the reply Dtiger.

I look forward to a staff response especially since #6 is a deal breaker, (I will not change the ip and lose players who aren't able to find our port when we have a DNS for exactly that reason) and #1,#2, and #7 still need clarification (i.e. How much space is available for backups and plugins).

4. _LargeFarva_

_LargeFarva_ New Member

#8 worries me a bit as well. The whole reason I am changing hosts is because of a lack of customer service, 24/7 support to me means that you will at least get a response in a few hours... What is everyone's experience in the way they handle tickets? If you put in a ticket at 8am, are you waiting around till the next day to have it handled? Or what if it is 2am, do you end up waiting until the next evening?

5. Daniel

Daniel Active Member
    Staff Member

If you're looking for a response from the HostHorde support team, then you should submit a ticket at http://hosthorde.com/support/

However, to quickly go through your questions:
    1. Yes. CentOS.
    2. You can't set it. It'll either be the default Java value, or 256MB if you name your JAR file custom_server.jar
    3. E5-1650 v2 in new hardware, E5-2687W, E5-2687W v2, and E5-2690 CPUs are also in active rotation.
    4. Varies, servers typically use DDR3 ECC memory. (1600 MHz)
    5. Yes
    6. No. However, you don't need to use a port number if you set up a custom server address: https://www.hosthorde.com/forums/resources/setting-up-a-custom-server-address.63/
    7. https://www.hosthorde.com/terms/#usage
    8. We do not claim to offer 24/7 support. Our support hours are listed at http://hosthorde.com/support/
    9. No, we do not offer that level of support.
    10. You could try, but no guarantees.